Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Discovering My Inner Creativity


My friend Sarah has a drop-in art at her home on Monday afternoons. For a long time I have been envious of the people who have afternoons free and can go and work on their art projects. I always had school. When summer came, I have been planning to go to Sarah's every Monday, but something always seemed to happen at that time.

Yesterday, finally, the time was right! I had put this date in my calendar as I was taking two friends to meet Sarah as well. I was the non artist in the group. I took my canvas that I had bought months ago. I had some brushes as well. Otherwise, I was clueless.

I don't know what I really worried about as everyone was so helpful! They talked about colors, shading, color wheels etc. I listened and tried to incorporate their suggestions (some with more success than others). The only thing I put my foot down was the color orange!

My goal and my word for the year is DISCOVER. I have been trying to discover many new things this year. Yesterday I succeeded in discovering that, yes, I can paint! Not for anyone else, but for me! I had so much fun painting, trying different colors, difference brushes (even a toothbrush), and most of all, chatting at the table with the other ladies! We came from four different countries. With four different opinions, but we loved being together!

I am wondering what other artistic and creative thing I could try next??? I think a trip to Jo Ann's might be in order.

How do you continue to incorporate your word of the year into your life?


21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend the afternoon! Sounds like you had a lot of fun! You made another great DISCOVERy when painting yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time for you! There is so much to discover when we step out of our usual world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary first, but the end was a great reward!

      Delete
  3. That's so fun!! I recently put my name on a waiting list for an online mixed media course starting in Sept. I've always been drawn to mixed media and now want to make some of my own!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago, I made art part of my "Annual Learning Plan" at school. I really worked to make my art instruction more about art and less about crafts. As a non-artist, this was a huge growth experience for me! Thank goodness for Youtube. :) It is fun to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be a bit more art in my future! Perhaps I could utilize YouTube...

      Delete
  5. I have a feeling that this is the start of something wonderful for you, Jaana - an artistic outlet on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara! Sometimes I have put aside the great PD ideas and just let loose!

      Delete
  6. It is always great to discover a hidden talent. I look forward to hearing about your first art exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's not go too far! Maybe there will be a few more pictures on my wall in a few months!

      Delete
  7. Good for you! Your rewards were many for your taking that step. And what a wonderful thing - drop-in art. I want to find one of those!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already planning to have drop-in art at school for parents. Perhaps mixing it with reading....

      Delete
  8. Doesn't it feel wonderful to step outside of your box and discover something different? It sounds like you may have found a way to release your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, release creativity! We all need that!

      Delete
  9. I have dropped in to a watercolor group this summer. I haven't had quite the supportive experience but I took it all in stride and realize that we each have something to offer. My OLW was open, so I am trying to open up to new experiences, much like discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I think you have really lived your OLW this year!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful word for the year and great that you could explore the artist in you. I love to create and look for challenges on line. I am currently taking part in ICAD - index card a day through Daisy Yellow. I don't create every day but I have fun when I do. (bunnysgirl.blogspot.ca is my at blog) Have fun and create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Explore the artist in me" What sweet words! Thank you! I hopped over to your creative site; you have some great art pictures there!

      Delete
  11. I hope that you will have a chance to join an art class. Few (almost eight) years ago I joined one painting class and even when I didn't know what I was doing I enjoyed the experience immensely. I haven't painted since but some people who started with me continued. One of the women has even personal art shows now. Who knows where your discoveries will lead you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.