Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Funny Thing about Melted Wax



Happy women. Excited women. Perfectly painted nails and toes. Eyebrows waxed. Hair trimmed and styled. Shoulders relaxed after massage. Tummy filled with wonderful finger foods. Conversation keeping spirits high.

We had our annual single moms pampering night at church. It was wonderful! Moms had just left and our cleaning crew was hard at work putting everything in their place. Chairs needed to be moved, tables folded and lamps put back in storage for another year. Ordinary stuff.

But then something unexpected happened: the eyebrow wax bowl fell on the floor!


It fell in the middle of the walkway. On the carpet, of course. And did I say, the wax was pink! I walked away. There were enough people to deal with the wax.

I came back a few minutes later. The wax was still on the floor. What was new? A group of young men surrounded the area. They were analyzing the situation. Contemplating what would be the best way to get the wax off the floor. 

"We could just Google it."

Maybe someone actually did it as the next time I walked by, there was now a brown paper bag covering the melted wax. Still, the contemplating continued.

"We could just iron it."
"Or we could put ice on it."
"How about using a wet rag?"
"You could use a cloth diaper when ironing over it."

There were so many suggestions, but at the end, the brown paper bag stayed over the wax. Sunday will reveal if the suggested methods worked!

As I was leaving, I heard this:

"I thought somebody had puked, but then I realized that there would not be a group of men staring at the pink throw up. It had to be something else."

"Do you think we will get hourly updates on the cleaning process?"

"That could be your first tweet; giving us an update!"

I went home happy and chuckling to myself. I wondered how long the men would stay and stare at the brown paper bag pieces over the wax. Could there really be an update on social media on the carpet cleaning progress? I guess time will tell.

17 comments:

  1. Good for you Jaana, that you didn't do the typical female thing and just take over and do the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selfish reasons, it was messy (and I was tired).

      Delete
  2. What a lovely tale! Like Bonnie, I found your ending to be great. I must admit I do not know how to get way out of a carpet so when you find out how they did it, let us know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see if it is still there on Sunday!

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't that be the evolution of shared cleaning responsibilities? If men are going to do it, there will be boasting on Instagram et al. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many methods, but what will work? Loved the snippets of conversation interspersed throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the possibilities of this piece. The anticipation of what might transpire next. I enjoyed the speculation as to the possible solutions to the problem. The dialogue was authentic and revealing. A small moment well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, did it work. Could be a good video for AFV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you captured the conversation and of course since it was men, that makes it a little funnier! I would ice, scrap and iron with a towel. I hope you share the clean-up. It will be interesting to see what they did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mess! But...a great slice as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was an entertaining piece! Maybe the wax will stay there permanently and you will just have an always-present reminder of the fun night. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha!! I love everything about this piece. It's a perfect example of taking the ordinary moments of life...moments we'd miss if we weren't paying close attention and making them special. You're such a great writer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just plain fun to watch the gathering around the melted wax on the floor! Observing people can be fun!

      Delete
  11. This is pinkalicious slice! The men contemplating the mess is priceless. Great capture of a moment that otherwise might have sent the Women of the Church in a tizzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come I did not think of that word? Pinkalicious!!!!!! I am imagining: "How to remove pinkalicious melted wax from old church carpet? Cleaning experts advice is appreciated."

      Delete
  12. I need to know the outcome of the pink wax on the carpet?! Please report back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.