Thursday, February 6, 2014

Checking on My #nerdlution



It has been a little over two weeks since I joined the #nerdlution. It feels like too many other things have been happening at the same time and I have had to put my #nerdlution goal in the back burner. Have a forgotten them? No, but focusing on them on a daily basis has not happened.

What has happened?

I have been trying to keep things organized. 
  • Extra binders went to school to help students get organized for the second semester. 
  • Two bags of books are waiting to be donated (=taken) to our library bookstore (when we have a break from the snow). 
  • Incoming mail has been sorted on a weekly basis
Discovering new ideas with my students.
  • This goal has been harder as we have had snow days and then end of semester exams
  • I have tried a different way to use visuals to get my lower level ELLs to discuss a topic with good vocabulary (incorporating Blooms higher level thinking)
  • Yesterday my high school ELLs actually seemed to understand close reading and what it really means!!! It has taken us a long time, but I feel like we are finally making progress!
  • I have started reading Falling in Love with Close Reading!!!!

I guess I am not doing that bad! I have also been able to go to the gym regularly. Snow or cold days have given me extra time to make sure I also take care of my body. Enjoying an unexpected lunch or two with friends has been energizing in the middle of  my snowiest winter in the U.S. I am looking forward to seeing what the next couple of weeks will bring!




8 comments:

  1. Jaana,
    It appears you've discovered the "key" to your #nerdlution. Love your Tagxedo. Sometimes we need to slow down to organize. Isn't amazing how much time mail takes?????

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I love how you explain that we need to "slow down to organize." I need to remember that!

      Delete
  2. Love the tagxedo. Can I steal that idea? I think this checking in weekly helps me reflect on how I am doing. And like you, I find I'm not doing too bad. It helps that all 3 of my nerdlutions (except exercise) are things I enjoy doing. Sometimes I enjoy exercise, once I've made the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Margaret, sharing helps to keep my goals in check! Tagxedos are so much fun!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you are doing great. It is so exciting to see your students get something that you and they have worked hard on. I find I don't always realize the success when progress inches slowly. So good that you recognize it. Fantastic tagxedo. You get bonus points for that!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Julianne! I just wish that these moments when students really get something, came a little more often.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that checking in is helping others as much as it's helping me. :) I, too, LOVE the key and want to steal this idea. Amazing!!! When I have weeks where I feel like I'm not doing enough, I remember Chris Lehman's words, "Be kind to yourself"! Job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, being kind to yourself is the key; otherwise the the whole idea becomes just another job! I don't need another job! Thanks for doing the link up!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.