Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Life Changing Experiences

Do you remember the last life changing experience of your life?

I am thinking back in my life; thinking about the events that have both changed and shaped me.

  • My dad retired; theoretically he could now drive me to school every morning
  • I was ten when we moved from a house to a condo
  • 4th & 5th grade meetings some of my oldest and dearest friends
  • Confirmation camp at 15
  • Language school in Cambridge, England
  • High school graduation
  • Joining YWAM
  • Leaving for Asia
  • Learning Chinese
  • Encounter with my future husband
  • First trip to the USA--meeting the future in-laws
  • Wedding
  • School in Hawaii
  • Pregnancy announcement
  • Husband's cancer diagnosis
  • Move to America from Asia
  • Husband's death
  • Birth of my daughter
So many other events after that are all connected to my daughter. Tomorrow will be another big life changing event (in both of our lives): my daughter is leaving for England. She will no longer come back to do laundry, pop in for some mother-daughter time, or give me hug and a kiss at church on Sundays. Two lives are changing. It will be both sad and exciting. 
Tomorrow,  I will drive her to the airport, give her one last hug and a kiss, and tell her that I will always love her. Then I will drive home. Start my life as a true empty nester. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm doing the empty nest thing this year too. Quite an adjustment. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Change and adjustment is inevitable. Look at all you've already enjoyed in life. The list puts it all into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...I will be praying for your latest transition...I think putting it down in a list like is comforting...we make it through with God and each other...the other fun thing about the empty nest is they usually come back for visits... my Ecuadorian daughter is making her way back soon...oh and there is Skype, we are so lucky! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an impact your list made on me as each event mentioned left me wanting to know more of each story. Such a bittersweet time with your daughters leaving captured in those few words...sad and exciting. Sending a hug and prayer for both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bittersweet is a good word. But, as Nanc says, there is always Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While your daughter leaving is a bittersweet moment, take some comfort that my first thought upon reading your list is that you had lived a full and wonderful life. I went to England (but only for a semester) when in college, and I talked to my mom every day while there. I missed her, but it was so much fun to share all the new things I experienced w/ her on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While your daughter leaving is a bittersweet moment, take some comfort that my first thought upon reading your list is that you had lived a full and wonderful life. I went to England (but only for a semester) when in college, and I talked to my mom every day while there. I missed her, but it was so much fun to share all the new things I experienced w/ her on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is one big hug, Jaana, for the return from the airport. It's just wonderful that your daughter is feeling like she can leave, off on her own life adventure-just rather tough on us left behind. I hope you'll be able to visit her to see where she is, etc. I think it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life changing events- some so eagerly anticipated and planned for, some so unexpected, and some so bittersweet. May bittersweet be perfect blend for this time. May the tears that come irrigate your soul, with smiles breaking through as you think of your daughter and the bright promise of her future, the joy of your shared mother-daughter love, and new adventures in your own life. God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Jaana, such heartbreak in that list. Loss and discovery, love and longing, so much of life presented so matter of factly. I will keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad and exciting! My daughter is on the east coast while her husband attends graduate school. It's never easy to say goodbye, sending virtual hugs your way for that drive home. And hopefully, you're planning a trip to England sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a heavy post, and yet, in so few words. You chose words and style well to make this post hit strong. I will be sending prayers up for you tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you today and the drive home from the airport. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jaana, Tyttäresi mene pois, mutta rakkaus hoida teidan yhtessa aina. I hope that my Finish made sense. Hug.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.