Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Reflections

On Friday evening I had a wonderful Seder dinner with friends. We went through the whole journey of God's people. We remembered their sufferings, their uprisings against God, their  punishments, and finally, their redemption through Jesus Christ.
I was again reminded of my own shortcomings, my mistakes, but most of all, God's wonderful mercy. I would not be who I am if I could not trust that I am forgiven. I am not forgiven because I am so good, but because God loves me! And because He loves me, He has chosen to forgive me! I rejoice in that forgiveness that is given to me by grace!
When I reflect on God's grace, I also think about my students. You know the one student that can really push your buttons? Or the other one that does not understand personal space, or the one that never does his homework? What about the one who always giggles at the wrong time or at the wrong thing? Or the one who always needs to sharpen a pencil when everyone is finally quiet? What is my response to these students? Will I show mercy and grace? Or will I just re-enforce the rules without any thought about forgiveness or mercy? What role does forgiveness play in my or in your classroom? I am not just talking about saying sorry to a fellow classmate when you say a bad word or take their paper by mistake. But real forgiveness.
What about giving a second chance completing an assignment? What about firm due dates? Is it about "deserving" a second chance? When is it fair to show mercy (or grace) to one student but require the others to follow the rules and due dates?
I think I need divine wisdom every day in the classroom. I need understanding that goes beyond my classroom. Perhaps that will be my prayer for the rest of this school year: Give me wisdom from above. Help me to understand the needs of my students. Help me to see beyond the obvious.

1 comment:

  1. Your students are lucky to have such a reflective teacher. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.