Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pampering Night for Single Moms

Slice of Life #21

Last night we had our annual pampering night for the single moms at our church. Our church has a special heart for single moms, and we have been having monthly dinners for single moms for over 13 years!
Once a year, in March, we have a pampering night for the moms. What does it mean? People from our church, and friends of people who go to our church, come and offer pedicures, manicures, haircuts, facials, eye brow waxing, massages, great conversation, music, and of course lots of laughter! Some of the moms haven't had a haircut in almost a year! For others, this is the only time in a year that they can have a massage or a pedicure.
In between getting pampered and beautified, volunteers at the kitchen are busy preparing and serving delicious food for the moms. Think, strawberries dipped in chocolate, spring rolls, fancy cheese tarts etc. For many moms this is the only time in a month that they do not need to cook and clean after dinner. And who doesn't like that?
I feel very privileged to be part of this group. I get to enjoy a great dinner, chat with other moms, and now that my daughter is grown up, help serve other younger moms. And, I can't forget that I got to experience "oxygenating facial" and dipping my hands in hot wax. I came home with smooth hands and glowing face!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, Jaana. I'll bet that everyone - whether they're being served or they are serving others - leaves this event with a feeling of well being, of community and kindness and fun. Lovely slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! A perfect opportunity to feel good, whether getting the pampering or helping with the pampering! I'd love a night out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing event. I bet everybody involved really looks forward to it. I hope that there is day care plans available so that everyone who wants to can go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please stop by again.